Available IPI Books

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Indians Sign Pavano, Designate Aubrey For Assignment

The Indians signed free agent right-handed starter Carl Pavano today to a one year deal for $1.5 million with the opportunity to earn up to $5.3 million more in incentives. To make room on theh 40-man roster, the Indians designated first baseman Michael Aubrey for assignment. The Indians now have ten days to trade, release or assign Aubrey to the minors (if he clears waivers).

An interesting move, although not a surprise given that the Indians have stated all offseason they were uncomfortable with the makeup of the starting rotation. Gotta say though, this in no way makes me any more warm and fuzzy about the starting rotation as Pavano is a huge question mark himself from a health standpoint, and I am not sure he is that good. Aside from a great 2004 season in Florida and a very good postseason in 2003, he has been very bad and unhealthy in his ten year career.

I'm fine with taking a one year low risk gamble on the guy, as if he does not perform we can cut him loose at any time. But, me personally, I feel we may be better off going with any two of Aaron Laffey, Jeremy Sowers, David Huff, Scott Lewis and Zach Jackson in the #4 and #5 spot. With Cliff Lee, Fausto Carmona, Anthony Reyes (out of options), and Pavano now locked 1-4 in the rotation, it will make for one hell of a camp battle for the fifth start spot between the five lefties Laffey, Lewis, Jackson, Sowers, and Huff.

As for Aubrey, not much of a surprise, although I thought right-handed reliever Eddie Mujica would be given the axe first. If he clears waivers, he could still be with the team. If by chance he is released and picked up elsewhere, I'll post his 2009 scouting report on here as a farewell since he will be removed from the upcoming Top 100 Prospect Rankings he is included in.

3 comments:

I love the signing. Often pitchers are stronger their 2nd year out of tommy john surgery. If he bombs & sucks out of spring training, he won't make the team. I don't think that will happen though. With his arrogance, I think he'll pitch at least as well as his career average to max out the incentives and shoot for a bigger deal next year.

DISCLAIMER: I also believed the Buckeyes weren't going to blow it on that final drive last night.

I think they are throwing away $1.5Million in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle much like they did with Millwood. It doesn't make me feel any better about the rotation. He is old and brokedown and really has only one good year to show for his career. I saw him pitch last year and he might be healthy but that doesn't mean he can pitch. Seems like an act of desperation but maybe they will get lucky.

I hope you are right Dave.

But history with the Indians show that even if a guy sucks in ST, if he has committed dollars to the team, they still keep him and pitch him anyway for 10-12 starts. That's my issue with this signing, and really only one.

Post a Comment