Available IPI Books

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

First Stop: Kinston....In Virginia!

Hello everyone, just a few quick updates today.

I'll be in Woodbridge, VA on Friday night to take in the Kinston/Potomac game at Pfitzner Stadium. I'm going to try and nail down as many guys as I can for interviews since Kinston will be the team I see the least this year, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know. Carlton Smith is at the top of my list because I have never talked to him before and want to do an article on him, but also get some stuff on his brother Cory so I can do a "Where as they now feature" later on in the month. I'd like to get some of the Latin kids like Perdomo, Rondon, Gomez, Rivero, etc, but I am unsure how much English they speak or if anyone will be available to translate. Like I said, any suggestions or ideas, let me know by replying to this post in the comments section or email me at tlastoria@gmail.com . I like to get input from others before I do this stuff so I am sure I answer some questions others have rather than just myself.

As for some news, here are a few quick updates from the last day or so:

- Outfielder Trevor Crowe has been out of the Akron lineup for the last two days because of back tightness. He is currently considered day-to-day.

- Yesterday, Adam Miller threw a 64 pitch simulated game in EST. He is healthy and ready to go, but he needs at least one more start to get to 85 pitches before he can be activated in Buffalo. He is scheduled to pitch again in 5 days. Also, Shin-Soo Choo had four at bats at DH in a simulated game and went 1-4. He is scheduled to start playing the outfield in about two and a half weeks.

- In a collision at the plate, Lake County catcher Michael Valadez injured his thumb. He is day to day with a sprained thumb.

2 comments:

A more general question (unrelated to this post) - how bad can Ben Francisco's defense really be? You intimated at one point that was holding him back. On that point, I was at a spring training game against the Yanks in Tampa and he made a sensational diving catch in CF (so how bad can it be?). But I look at what Delucci and JMike have done offensively thus far and want to throw up. What's the point in sticking w/ these absolutely no upside guys when the offense is struggling and Benny was just destroying pitching all spring? Curious any light you can shed.

Again, thanks for doing this. It is awesome. I considered peppering Hoynsie and telling him to run minor happenings more frequently, so this is a dream come true.

Anonymous, thanks for the kind words.

Francisco is fine defensively. Yeah, there are some things he could work on, but it is nitpicking. The Indians just trying to find a way to soften the blow of going back to AAA. I mean, let's be serious, B-Fran is a better defensive outfielder than Jason Michaels and David Dellucci. It is debateable about Michaels, but a given with Dellucci.

While Dellucci and Michaels have stunk up the joint so far on offense, it should be noted Francisco is hitting only .174 in Buffalo. It's the first week, so everything is magnified. If Michaels/Dellucci are still struggling in mid-May, I expect a change to be made by then.

Post a Comment