Available IPI Books

Monday, September 7, 2009

Indians Callup Romero, Not Brown, From Columbus

The Indians will make a roster move on Tuesday, a move expected to be the final move of the season where they will purchase the contract of infielder Niuman Romero and call him up to Cleveland.

First off, congrats to Romero. He is realizing his dream to get a big league shot, so I wish him the best and have no ill will toward him.

That said, with this move, outfielder/first baseman Jordan Brown WILL NOT be called up. This is very disappointing, as he did everything humanly possible to get the much deserved callup for a cup of coffee this year. Heck, if anything, just to reward the guy for a fantastic year in Triple-A where he won the league batting title.

Brown deserves better than this if you ask me. I'll have a piece on him sometime this week sort of going more in depth on the situation as I had a chance to talk to him at length over the weekend as I was in Columbus.

By the way, Josh Barfield is toast.

Calling up Romero over him puts the final nail in his coffin with the Indians.

3 comments:

I really thought wait until September 8th before I said anything, but now that it's hear, it is unacceptable to NOT call up Brown. If he is hurt, like you said Tony, reward him for a good season by having him live the life of a big leaguer for the final 3 or 4 weeks. What does that hurt?

I am shocked to hear this. Congrats to Nuiman (I never thought I would see him in a big league uniform). But, I think it is ridiculous that Brown was pretty much left for dead.

Do you think the Tribe will protect him for the Rule 5 draft? If they don't, I hope gets claimed by a team that knows what a great player and person he is.

You learn something new every day. The Indians do not "reward" guys with callups for good seasons....and apparently this is common for just about every other team. While Brown was not called up, Rondon and Santana will also not be called up at all too and they had as much of a good season as well if not better. Like with Brown there are no innings available for Rondon to pitch or at bats for Santana at catcher.

It reallu sucks for Jordan as he really deserved it....he is unfortunately stuck in a numbers game and a very crowded first base and left field situation in Cleveland with Crowe, Brantley, LaPorta, and Marte all needing everyday at bats there. I keep saying it, but the Marte resurgence screwed him.

This all said, I fully expect him to be rostered in November.

Post a Comment