Available IPI Books

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Blog......by Vinnie Pestano

First off let me apologize to Tony, I agreed to do a blog a week and this is only my second in April or my first of May by the time this gets posted. So Tony again I apologize. I am finding it a lot harder than I originally thought to write these things. Someone very close to me I will not name names….Michelle…cough, told me the problem with some blogs is that some of them come off as people trying to be too smart or trying to be too funny. So this is my attempt at trying to be neither of those things which I should find pretty easy cause I don’t claim to be too smart or too funny. What do you write about? Do you talk about all the games in the week? Or how you did in the games? Do you try to give some insight into the inner workings of Double-A ball?

I have no idea, but I know you can write comments about the blogs so I leave it to you the readers to name some suggestions about what you want to hear about. If there are no comments I will resort to weekly movie reviews and other things of that nature until you get tired of it and give me something to talk about. So as of now this will be the first annual Meet An Aero week. I will try to interview one of my teammates a week and post the interview in this blog. Since I just thought of this ground breaking idea your first guest will be…..me ‘cause my roommate is sleeping (we’re on the road in Bowie).

First I must get this off my chest, I have been cheating the system for awhile now….and I will be the first and possibly the only one to come clean and admit it. I am not 6’1” 195 pounds, I know I know this comes as a shock but I am tired of all the forged media guides. I am actually barely over 6 feet and closer to 215 pounds. The guilt was eating away at me I just couldn’t take it anymore. So now that I have come clean I hope you can accept me for what I am.

I am from Southern California with a brief stint in Olathe, KS. I am the second child of Bill and Anne Pestano, and younger brother to Melissa Pestano. I have a girlfriend her name is Michelle and I have to admit she is the better pitcher in the relationship. I would be nowhere without my excellent supporting cast of friends and family as they keep me grounded through every day of my life. I played high school baseball at Canyon High in Anaheim and my college ball at Cal State Fullerton. According to my rookie/Mahoning Valley Scrappers baseball card I was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 200th round of the 2006 draft. I was a bullpen guy my whole stint in college closing my sophomore and junior year. On May 10th 2006 I tore my UCL in my right elbow in a mid week save opportunity against USC. I was drafted in June, had Tommy John Surgery in July and signed in August. I have been trying to work my way up the minor league ladder one rung at a time ever since.

So now that we are all caught up, how about some baseball talk? The Akron Aeros are 16-4 and off to a great start in 2009. If I would have to say one thing about our team it would be that we are doing a great jog of picking each other up on both sides of the ball. If the pitching staff is having a rough night the offense is there to pick us up and vice versa. We have a good team chemistry which is very important and everyone has a thirst for winning. It is hard to lose when you have confidence in yourself and others around you and I think we have that. I am looking forward to May and what it will bring, hopefully another good month for this club and its fans. See you in a week.

6 comments:

I want to make it perfectly clear, Vinnies hieght comes from his mother's side of the family, his honesty and candor from his sister and sending his dad to a different ballpark on game day is well (Priceless). Tony thank you for giving Vinnie a chance to fulfill his true passion "a sideline reporter for Indians Prospect insider?" Have a great May.

Anne I thought Vinnie recieved a D in English

Vinnie,

Thanks for posting. If you can, give us an idea of where you are in your recovery from TJ surgery. Are you at the point that you have all teh velocity you will get back. Saw you pitch a couple of times last year at Lake County. Have you always thrown from this low of an arm angle.

Thanks,

Dennis

How bout a story on the employees of the on-line store and how they have been feverishly working for the past 20 games to open it so I can buy a hat???

Love You Bro!

Brucie.

No prob Vinnie....you just concentrate on closing out games and when you get a chance feel free to post anything you want. Thanks again for doing these.

As for ideas....how about:

- Any funny stories or things you guys in the bully do to pass time in games waiting for the call.
- Your travels....when do you guys leave on the bus? What are the trips like? What are some of your worst travel experiences so far? What minor league stop has had the longest or worst drives?
- What are some of the things that go through your head in the 9th inning? Sort of a blow-by-blow account of some things you are doing out there with your mind.
- Living arrangements, what is it like apartment hunting when the season starts since you are only put up for 3 days by the Indians (most fans don't understand or know this).

And so on! Good luck man.

Oh gosh Tony, do fans really want to know how hectic life can be for a minor league player who's living in a hotel at $85/night(in Columbus anyway), weight lifting/working out every morning, grabbing a healthy (?) lunch, playing games everyday, looking for an apartment after the game ends (ha) and then trying to buy used furniture (or at least a mattress to sleep on) in your spare time? Ha, the life of a minor leaguer!

Haha, yeah, sure do Mags!:-)

One of the things I haven't touched on, which is something I do want to touch on eventually, is the whole experience these guys go through off the field - especially when the season just starts - with finding housing, furniture, adjusting to their surroundings, getting their cars to them, loading up on roommates to help with bills, and so on. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes besides what fans read in the box scores or in game recaps that fans don't get. They are hardly pampered like in the big leagues, in fact it is the exact opposite!:-)

Post a Comment