Available IPI Books

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

House Happy To Get First Season Going


Low-A Lake County 19-year lefty T.J. House had a lot of hype coming into this season. Having yet to throw a pitch as an Indian before the start of the season, he was ranked almost unanimously as one of the Indians top 20-25 prospects coming into the season.

House has the maturity well beyond his years to handle such expectations, but in the early going he has been more focused on getting his career started on the right note by getting his first professional start and win out of the way.

"It was a weight off my shoulders,” said House last week at Classic Park in Lake County. “Of course you look forward to getting that first win out of the way and getting things rolling. It feels like things are running smooth now and I am getting into a routine and don’t need to worry about it. It is wonderful to get it as the first one is always the hardest and best one, but now it is time to go out and get a bunch more."

The 6’2” 215-pounder recorded his first win about two weeks ago on April 27th at Hagerstown going six innings and allowing just one run on four hits, no walks and had four strikeouts. To date in six starts he is 1-3 with a 3.64 ERA, and in 29.2 innings has allowed 26 hits, 12 walks and has 23 strikeouts.

To some, it was sort of surprise that the Indians had House open the season with a full season team considering he was just 19-years old and fresh out of high school. The Indians typically keep their recently signed draft picks out of high school in camp for extended spring training to better adapt them to the game, learn to develop a routine, and receive more instruction.

But the Indians did not do that with House, which shows the level of confidence they have in his advanced pitching abilities and maturity. Being sent to Lake County to start the season was a shot in the arm for his confidence, and now he is just trying to prove every time out he belongs there.

"I just want to go out and do well and show them I deserve to be here,” said House. “Just get a win for my team and give them the best chance to get some runs on the board and get a ‘W’. I have tried to treat it like I am still in Goodyear with no stands and I am on the same baseball field as I was when I was there. I am just going to throw. That is the philosophy I have taken into it and I think it [has gone] pretty well."

House is a physically advanced left hander with two plus pitches, a low 90s above average heavy fastball with good tailing action and an excellent slider in the mid 80s with depth and late break. He has very good arm strength to where his velocity should continue to increase as he matures. Even with all his natural abilities, there is still much to learn.

"We have been working on a lot of things in the bullpen,” said House. “They obviously see what your weaknesses are so they pinpoint them and tell me what I need to work on and I am fine with that. I am ready to go out there and work, I need improvement. I know I have a lot to learn and a lot to do."

Right now House is continuing to work on developing his secondary pitches as well as the command and location of all of his pitches.

"The thing I am really working on now is throwing a first pitch slider for a strike, usually on the second go around with the batters to just try and help me get deeper into a game,” said House. “I now have three pitches since I have instituted my changeup into the mix. I have been having problems throwing my slider for a strike. So what we do in the bullpen is work on throwing my slider for a strike every time, that’s my main goal. I still work on everything else, but the main focus is throwing a breaking pitch for a strike.”

As the 2009 season moves on, House has many goals for himself that he plans to achieve by the time the season ends. Most of his goals are non-performance based and more about his growth as a person and pitcher.

"The only goal I have is to just become a more physical, mentally prepared pitcher,” said House. “Come out here every day, learn, and improve. Stats will take care of themselves if you go out there and do what you are supposed to do. The same goes with moving [up in the system]. I am not worried about that, you can't control it. Just play, have fun and enjoy it because even though this is a job it is still a game and you are supposed to have fun.”

“I just want to be able to look back and say 'wow, look how much I didn’t know before I got here and look how much I know now'.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment