Available IPI Books

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Nash Looking To Turn It Around


Lake County first baseman Chris Nash is hoping to turn things around this season.

Nash had a promising season in 2007 where he hit .303 with 3 HR, 33 RBI and had an .806 OPS in 63 combined games with short-season Single-A Mahoning Valley and the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Indians. He went into the 2008 season as one of the up-and-coming young prospects in the organization, but once he got to spring training last year things unraveled on him.

Shortly into spring training last year Nash came down with an injury to the lat muscle in his right shoulder area. It cost him a lot of time in spring training, so when the season started and he was assigned to Single-A Lake County at the outset of the season he was behind and not really ready for game action. The injury lingered all year, moving into his shoulder and then his triceps area. He was in and out of the lineup as a result and never could get into a rhythm offensively. He finished the year in Lake County hitting just .230 with 5 HR, 38 RBI and a .642 OPS in 74 games.

This year, things have been much different so far from a health standpoint. While he is off to a slow start again in his return trip to Lake County hitting just .167 with 0 HR, 6 RBI and a .395 OPS in 13 games so far, the key for him is he is healthy and that he had a much better spring training experience this year.

"Yeah, I feel good,” said Nash in a recent interview at Classic Park. “I had a good spring training, so I am coming out here to play everyday and get back to what I need to do. I’m just trying to get back into the swing of things. I am off to a slow start so far, but I am starting to find my swing."

Everyone in the ballpark knows who is struggling early in the season as the numbers reflect so on the scoreboard in April each time the player comes up to bat. It is one of those early season mind games that can toy with a player’s head as they try to get their hitting stroke back and put up better numbers.

"I am just taking it day by day,” said Nash. “I am just taking good at bats I have had from previous games and trying to build on that everyday. Look at the good and bad and go from there. I haven't had many hits, but I have had some good at bats, so I can just take those and move forward really."

When things are going bad an inexperienced hitter has a tendency to change their approach and get away from what made them successful in the first place. In Nash’s case, he is still adapting to a few adjustments the Indians made this past spring with his batting stance.

"One thing they did switch in Instructional League is my stance,” said Nash. “That was a big thing. I was more standing upright with my stance and now I have a much wider base. My hands are much further away from my body so I can get my bat head out there more in the zone. So now I am focused more on getting a downward path on my swing instead of having a loopy swing which is what I kind of have right now."

The injuries last year for Nash made for a rough year as he did not perform up to the level that he wanted to. For a player who experienced so much success as a youth, in high school and early in his professional career, he went through some adversity for the first time last year not only dealing with the injury but also handling his struggles at the plate.

"There is nothing you can do about it really,” said Nash. “You gotta go with it and wear it to be honest. Yeah things are going to happen, but all you can do is work hard and get through it. You do your rehabbing and get after it. Once you get back you move on from there. You don't try to play catchup every game, you just worry about the moment and go from there."

After going through what he went through last year, Nash was on a mission this past offseason to slim down to better improve his physical condition and strengthen his shoulder. At 6’5” 235 pounds, he is a big guy. At that size his body is more likely to breakdown, so he has to be cognizant of taking better care of his body than maybe other smaller players would.

“One thing I did in the offseason was cut down on my weight where I slimmed down,” said Nash. “I got a dietician in the offseason, so eating healthier and watching what I put into my body really was the biggest thing. I also did more speed and agility stuff. I did a lot of weights this offseason just to build more strength and not really to bulk up as I don't need to get too much bigger. I am pretty good size right now. I am in great shape and feel great."

Nash hopes that all the hard work he put in during the offseason and in spring training pays off.

"By far I think I had a good spring training,” said Nash. “Plus I made it through the whole thing too and I don't have to stay down there in extended. I feel great coming into the season. I know what I need to work on. I have no problems right now physically and it is not too much mechanical, it is just more the mental part of the game. It is more plate discipline which is something I need to work on right now."

If he keeps that positive mindset and continues to work and make the necessary adjustments, those early season subpar numbers on the scoreboard should be a lot better very soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment