Available IPI Books

Monday, July 27, 2009

Berger Named Player Of The Week

Kinston Indian’s starter Eric Berger is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week. The Carolina League All-Star struck out a career high 11 batters in just six innings on Saturday, earning a no decision in his only start of the week. Berger gave up just three hits and walked two without giving up a run Saturday against Wilmington.

Berger (7-7, 2.29 ERA) has the lowest ERA among active pitchers in the Carolina League. The University of Arizona product also leads the CL with 98 strikeouts. His 106 1/3 innings pitched are the fourth most in the Carolina League this season. He also won the Pitcher of the Week award in the last week of April. Kinston pitcher Kelvin De La Cruz is the only other K-Tribe pitcher to grab the Pitcher of the Week award this season.

Berger was born in Goldsboro, NC when his father was stationed at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. Berger moved to California when he was two-years-old.

2 comments:

I have read that Berger has picked up a few MPH this season. Is this true, Tony?

Dave, I think so. I mean, I just talked to him and pitching coach Greg Hibbard last week in Kinston though can't remember the specifics about what was said since I have yet to listen back to the recording and have been in vacation mode all week. I do know he is 100% from TJ surgery and that his velocity is better in that it is consistent now as comnpared to last year when it was a little erratic and consistently sat a MPH lower....I think he is still topping out at 93 MPH though. I will see Kinston again here later in the week and will verify when I go. Good question.

Post a Comment