Available IPI Books

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Andrew Means Business

Andrew Means, an Avon native, was an 11th round draft pick by the Cincinnati Reds in the 2008 draft out of Indiana University. He was also the star wide receiver for the Hoosiers.

It was possible that he could have had a career in the NFL had he not chose to play baseball. But, this dual-sport star decided that he wanted to continue with his baseball career.

“I chose to play baseball professionally, and since then, I have not turned back,” Means said. “If I was not playing baseball, I would be playing professionally in the NFL.”

The Avon native believes that growing up in Northeast Ohio has given him an advantage.

“I have an attitude that fits an Ohio guy,” Andrew said. “Growing up in Ohio was tough because of the cold weather. It does not allow you to go outside as much, which hurts. At the same time, you get used to playing in the cold weather and after a while, it does not bother you as much. It makes you tougher.”

Means’ 2010 season started off very well, but then he hit a few bumps.

“I started off very well, and then I got hit by a pitch in the hand and broke one of my fingers,” said Means. “Injuries are never good, but you cannot use them as an excuse.”

With his injury fully healed, Andrew looks forward to his 2011 campaign.

“My goals for next year are to stay healthy, so I can be consistent and showcase myself for an entire year,” Andrew said. “Also, playing good baseball and moving closer to the ultimate goal of reaching the big leagues.”

Means received a call-up toward the end of the minor league season to High-A playing one game with the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Carolina League going 2-for-3 with a double and a stolen base.

Means is at a critical stage in his professional baseball development, and he knows that he has to work hard and take care of business.
______________________________________________________________

Quick Stats:

Games: 75

AVG: .257

Hits: 81

Stolen Bases: 22

Homeruns: 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment