Available IPI Books

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Indians Make Roster Moves, Lewis the 5th Starter?

This morning the Indians optioned LHP Jeremy Sowers and C Wyatt Toregas to Triple-A Columbus and reassigned RHP Greg Aquino, INF Michael Aubrey, OF Michael Brantley, OF Matt LaPorta, and RHP Kirk Saarloos to minor league camp. Currently there are 37 players in Major League camp.

Also, with Sowers being optioned out, it is a two-dog race for the 5th starter spot now between Scott Lewis and Aaron Laffey. And according to this report from the Akron Beacon Journal, Scott Lewis may have already won the job:

Shapiro didn't give clues as to who will be the No. 5 starter, but he said only glowing things about Lewis, who seems to have won the competition.

''Lewis has been the most consistent pitcher of the group,'' he said. ''He's pounding the strike zone with his fastball and throwing his breaking pitch for strikes. His game is fastball command, and that's what he's shown down here.''

So when will Wedge and Shapiro announce the winner?

''It's going to be sooner rather than later,'' he said.

4 comments:

Hi from ST,
I cannot say this surprises me a lot. I often think that people overlook that Lewis is the only one of the competitors with a true plus pitch, even though he is reluctant to use it on occasion.

I also think it was time send Brantley and LaPorta down to end the speculation that either might go north. Although I expect changes throughout the season, it is time to focus on Choo, Francisco, Dellucci and DeRosa as the OFs to begin the season.

A thought that occurred to me while I am here is that Lombard might be in the mix if a move is made. I speculate that would be the kiss of death for Barfield. Just a thought, as I said.

Yeah, LaPorta and Brantley were never going north but the big league staff wanted as long as possible to see them since they will be used most likely at some point this year, and also most of the big league staff had yet to see them in action (Wedge and his coaches). Also, the fact that DeRosa and Choo were in the WBC had something to do with how long they were in big league camp I am sure as well.

I think Lewis has won the 5th slot, and I'll also toss in that I think Vinnie Chulk has clearly earned an opportunity to go north with the club, and stick around until Memorial Day.

After that, well, his history isn't too good.

I still fear Lewis is too inexperienced facing higher level hitters (still only 8 games abvoe AA)....but if he earns it, he earns it.

Big thing for me here is....does this make Laffey a possible trade candidate? Sowers is a nice backup to have, plus we'd still have Jackson and Huff if a need arose.


I think Graffanino should be given some serious consideration for ML roster spot. I thought the Tribe should have signed him to a minor league deal with an invite back in November even. This guy is still a good all-around MLer. If it weren't for that knee injury in Milwaukee he'd be in the MLs right now. If Hafner starts out on the DL, I think he should get his spot....and I may even give it to him over Barfield.....but doubt that happens.....

Post a Comment