Available IPI Books

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

R-Rod looking like a hot rod prospect

Ronny Rodriguez (Photo: Lianna Holub)
If you like to be in the know on what players are on the up-and-up in the Indians minor league system and who is ready to breakout as a prospect, then be sure to keep a very close eye on Low-A Lake County shortstop Ronny Rodriguez.

Rodriguez, 19, is one of the Indians top middle infield prospects in the lower levels of their system. He signed as a free agent last September, so this is his first pro season and the rawness has shown itself this season where in 28 games played in the first half he hit .218 with five homers, 12 RBI, and a .660 OPS.

But numbers are only part of the story as there is no denying some of the skills that Rodriguez brings to the table. He has developing power at the plate and one of the best swings you will see from a 19-year old Latin player. He can run and also plays very good defense with good hands and feet as well as a plus arm.

Rodriguez is having fun playing in front of good sized crowds on a nightly basis, something he did not do playing in the Dominican Republic or in extended spring training earlier in the season. With his first exposure to pro ball at the affiliate level, he is just taking things as they come this season.

“I feel good,” Rodriguez said in an interview recently at Classic Park. “This is my first year and I feel comfortable. I am thankful for the Indians giving me the opportunity to be here in Lake County. This is my first time in front of crowds, and I feel better and am working hard and doing what I gotta do.”

As it turns out, the Indians are actually Rodriguez's second team. He originally signed with the Chicago Cubs back in 2008 when he was 16 years old, but since he was attending high school in the United States in Boston at the time he had to be released from his contract.

According to Rodriguez, after he was released by the Cubs he had to wait a year in order to be eligible to sign with another team, so this is why he ended up signing with the Indians so late last season and at 18-years old.

“I was living here in the United States in Boston,” Rodriguez said. “I was there a year when I signed with the Chicago Cubs the first time. [After I was released] I was in the academy there [in the Dominican Republic] and waiting. My agent and I did a tryout with the Indians and I am here now with them.”

It has certainly been a less than ordinary road for Rodriguez to get where he is today. The Indians like what they see with his potential as a hitter and defender, and he has been pushed a lot more than most young Latin players as he moved pretty quickly to Lake County. Even through some of the initial struggles he has had to endure in the early going, he continues to keep a positive attitude and a beaming smile on the field.

For most Latin players the experience of playing in the English culture in the United States can be an overwhelming and intimidating experience, but through it all Rodriguez has remained positive and confident and actually welcomes the challenge of getting to know his American teammates and fitting into the American lifestyle.

“I am happy everyday and laughing all the time,” Rodriguez said. “I think I am a good friend too. People will say I am a good guy, and I appreciate that when they say that to me.”

Rodriguez knows how important it is for him to learn and understand English, which is something he was very open to learning in high school in Boston. He understands that being able to communicate in English will give him an edge over so many other Latin players since so many struggle with learning English or have no interest in it. His comfort level shows in how he did an interview for this piece on him with very little assistance from an interpreter, and that comfort level is carrying over to the field where he is becoming more relaxed.

“Yeah, I fee comfortable now in the field [and at the plate],” Rodriguez said. “I am better now as I was afraid earlier when I did something wrong, but [they are reassuring] me and say ‘hey, you can do it’. They helped me with that and it was great. I am taking groundballs every day and working hard to get better.”

Rodriguez idolizes shortstop Jose Reyes of the New York Mets, and even got to meet him once at home in the Dominican Republic. His goal is to make it to the big leagues and become every bit the player that Reyes has been for the better part of a decade now.

“Everybody’s goal in the Dominican is to be in the big leagues,” Rodriguez said. “It is a big thing to help your family be better. I think every player works hard at running, catching the ball, and batting. I think I am a good player too and am working hard to [get there].”

Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIPI. Also, his latest book the 2011 Cleveland Indians Top 100 Prospects & More is available for purchase for $20.95 to customers in the US (shipping and handling extra).

4 comments:

Rodriguez's peformance the last 10 games is even more promising, as his OPS for those games is .914. However, to a certain degree I believe any excitement over his impressive start should be moderated due to his poor plate discipline.

In 102 ABs, he's had 1 BB, which was in his most recent game. Maybe he'll get better in that area of his game, but his start is not promising.

Well let's hope he keeps more of a Jose Reyes attitude than a Hanley Ramirez atitude....

Yes, R-Rod's performance of late has been very good. I agree that the plate discipline so far is a concern....but I am willing to wait for a larger sample size on that.

I too am willing to wait, but I'm not optimistic. We've been through this before with other players lacking in plate discipline, Abreu being the latest.

The skill seems somewhat in-born. It can be improved, but usually only at the margins. The younger a player focuses on the problem, the better the likliehood that it an be adequately addressed. But, in my observation, players aren't mature enough at a young age to appreciate the need be more selective at the pitches they swing at.

I truly hope I'm wrong about Rodriguez. And I hope that his coaches can impress on him the need to be more selective.

My guess is that if he doesn't show demonstrable improvement over the remainder of the year, his fate will be written.

Post a Comment